- 1 Dragon Fruit Or Pitaya Fruit Farming Process, Profit and Cultivation
- 2 Dragon Fruit Cultivation Procedures In India
- 2.1 Climate Required For Dragon Fruit Farming
- 2.2 Soil Requirement for Dragon Fruit Farming
- 2.3 Dragon Fruit Planting Instructions
- 2.4 Fertilizers Of Dragon Fruit Farming
- 2.5 Irrigation Of Dragon Fruit Farming
- 2.6 Different pests OF Dragon Fruit
- 2.7 Different Diseases In Dragon Fruit
- 2.8 Harvesting Of Dragon Fruit Farming
- 3 Dragon Fruit Production And Types
- 4 Dragon Fruit Nutrition And Benefits
Dragon Fruit Or Pitaya Fruit Farming Process, Profit and Cultivation
Dragon fruit is very strange looking fruit. The dragon fruit is also known as a pitahaya or pitaya in Mexico. In Central America and northern South America it popular as pitaya Roja. Dragon fruit plant sowing is excellent in the less expected rainfall areas. Here In this article you will see the step by step information guide for Dragon Fruit Farming in India.
Black Gram Frming: Click Here
- Family: Cactaceae
- Scientific name: Hylocereus Undatus
- Origin: South America
- Weight: 150 to 600 grams (5.3 to 21.2 oz) some reach 1 kilogram (2.2 lb)
You can also use this dragon fruit or pitaya fruit plant to decorate your home and garden. Pitaya is eating fruit and it is used in many eating products.
Dragon Fruit Uses
- Ice creams
- Jelly production
- Fruit juice
- Face packs
What is another name for dragon fruit?
- Indonesia buah naga
- Khmer sror kaa neak
- Thai kaeo mangkon
- Nanettika fruit
- Kaktus madu
- Long guo
- Cereus triangularis
- Thanh long
- Strawberry Pear
- Cactus fruit
- Night Blooming Cereus
- Belle of the Night
- Jesus in the Cradle.
Dragon Fruit Price In India
- 200 to 250 Rs / kg price in india.
Dragon Fruit Cultivation Procedures In India
Climate Required For Dragon Fruit Farming
The tropical weather conditions are better for the dragon fruit cultivation. Dragon fruit pant requires 50 cm annual rainfall and 20 °C to 30 °C temperature. The high sunlight is not convivial for the dragon fruit crop. You can use the shading method for protecting the dragon fruit crop from the high sunlight.
Read some Helpful Articles Also :
- Goat Farming Business Plan ,Profit and Guide
- Aloe Vera Farming Business Plan ,Profit and Guide
- Vermicompost Project, Process and Preparation Guide
- Terrace (Step) farming Inca; Advantages and Disadvantages
- Mushroom Farming Commercial Business, Cultivation ,Procedure
- Sheep Farming Business Plan
- Quail Farming For Egg & Meat Production for Beginners
- Rabbit Farming Guide
- Sunflower Farming
- Profitable Pearl (Moti) Farming Guide
- Honey Bee Farming Business Guide
- Pomegranate Farming Cultivation Information Guide
- Kiwi Fruit Farming Information, Guide
- Sandalwood [Chandan] Tree Cultivation Business Plan
- Dairy Farming Business Plan Guide & Information
Soil Requirement for Dragon Fruit Farming
In Dragon fruit farming you may mostly requires sandy loam or clay loam. The sandy soil is better for the dragon fruit cultivation. You should plowed soil until it not achieves the better tilth and weed free. You can also require pH of soil in between 5.5 to 7 and it is good for dragon fruit sowing. Before plantation applies any organic compost on the soil in proportional ratio.
Dragon Fruit Planting Instructions
There are basically two methods for Dragon fruit Cultivation plantations.
- You can directly cut the dragon with a knife and divide it into two parts. After that scoop out the black seeds from inner flesh and wash the extra pulp off the seeds. You can use this seeds for cultivation but it takes longer time for growing plant and this method is not appropriate for commercial cultivate.
- The second method is cutting the 20 cm length of the plant from the mother dragon plants before two days of a plantation. Before cultivation, keep this cutting piece in a pot with the mixture of Dry cow dung, Topsoil, and Sand in the ratio of 1:1:2. Avoid sunlight from these cut piece.
When you start cultivation place the every plant 2-meter x 2-meter space between them and planted in a pit which is 60 cm x 60 cm x 60 cm in a size. Also, fill this pit with 100 grams super phosphate compost. The 1-acre land contains about 1700 dragon fruit plants. For plant proper development and growth put the support of concrete or wooden columns.
Fertilizers Of Dragon Fruit Farming
The each plant of dragon fruit requires 10 to 15 kg of organic compost or organic fertilizers for well vegetative grow. In dragon fruit farming for plant better expansion and growth, organic compost or fertilizer can play the main role.
The each plant also requires 40 grams muriate of potash, 90 grams Super phosphate and 70 grams Urea per plant in the vegetative phase.
Apply a high amount of potash and low amount of nitrogen on a plant at fruit bearing phase for obtaining a high yield of dragon fruit.
Take 50 g Urea, 50 g Super phosphate and 100 g muriate of potash and spread this fertilizer on dragon fruit plant from flowering to harvesting stage.
- Before flower stage in April
- Fruit developing stage in July to Aug
- Harvesting of fruit stage In December
Irrigation Of Dragon Fruit Farming
There are many irrigation systems are available in latest technology like drip irrigation, sprinkler irrigation, micro jet, and basin irrigation but dragon fruit plant requires less water compared to other fruit farming.
So, drip irrigation method is effective and better irrigation system for dragon fruit plants. The irrigation requires frequently in a different stage of dragon fruit farming like planting, flowering and fruit development stage.
Different pests OF Dragon Fruit
Different Diseases In Dragon Fruit
- Botryosphaeria dothidea
- Colletotrichum gloesporiodes
- Bipolaris cactivora
- Cactus virus X
- Stem soft rot caused by Enterobacteria
Harvesting Of Dragon Fruit Farming
The dragon fruit plant gets the flowering in May to June month and fruits from Aug to Dec month. After one year of planting Dragon fruit plant start bearing the fruits.
After one month of flowering stage, dragon fruits are ready for harvest. The immature dragon fruit has a bright green color skin. After some day fruit skin turns in red color from dark green. The better harvesting time for dragon fruit is 3 to 4 days after fruit change its skin color. You can use the hand and sickle for picking the dragon fruit from the plant. You can expect average 5 to 6 tonnes dragon fruits per acre.
Dragon Fruit Production And Types
Dragon Fruit Production In India
Dragon Fruit Production In World
- Sri Lanka
- Central America
- Southeast Asia
- United States
- Canary Islands
Primary Dragon Fruit Types
There are basically major three type of this Dragon Fruit according to their outer and internal side color.
Pink color fruit with white color flesh and also known as Pitaya blancaor white-fleshed pitahaya.
Red color fruit with red color flesh and it is also known as a Pitaya rojaor red-fleshed pitahaya or Hylocereus polyrhizus.
Yellow color fruit with white color flesh and it is also known as Pitaya amarillaor yellow pitahaya or Selenicereus megalanthus.
Dragon Fruit Nutrition And Benefits
Dragon Fruit Nutrition
- vitamin C
- polyunsaturated fatty acids
- Vitamin B
Various Dragon Fruit Benefits
Dragon fruit is beneficial for healthy skin and hair.
Dragon Fruit Health Benefits
- Dragon fruit is help in Lowers Cholesterol
- Helps With Stomach Ailments
- Lowers Blood Sugar
- Improves Cardiovascular Health
- Cuts Low Hemoglobin Risk
- Helps In Weight Management
- Prevents Cancer
- Prevents Congenital Glaucoma
- Boosts Immunity
- Helps Suppress Arthritis Pain
- Dragon Fruit During Pregnancy
- Prevents Renal Bone Disease
- Stronger Teeth And Bones
- Is Good For Dengue Patients
- Repairs Body Cells
- Improves Appetite
- Improves Vision
- Boosts Brain Function
- Cures Respiratory Disorders
- Healthy Snack Option For Kids
Dragon Fruit Skin Benefits
- Fights Signs Of Aging
- Treats Acne
- Soothes Sunburned Skin
- Promotes Skin Health
- Provides Essential Moisture To Dry Skin
Dragon Fruit Hair Benefits
- Treats Colored Hair
- Promotes Healthy Hair
In local and international market these dragon fruits are very demanded. So, you can get the good returns from this dragon fruit cultivation. This all information that is required for any farmer or investor to grow the Dragon fruit.
I hope I have covered the all informative details for the dragon fruit farming. If you like this information then please gives your review in the comment box.