- 1 How to start a profitable Fish farming commercially as Business
- 2 Advantages of Fish Farming
- 3 Type of Your Farm
- 4 How to Start Fish Farming Business?
- 5 Harvesting
- 6 Final Words
How to start a profitable Fish farming commercially as Business
Here I am sharing some special information related to fish farming with you. like,
- how to start fish farming
- fish farming ponds
- advantages of fish farming
- importance of fish farming
- types of ponds for fish farming
- history of fish farming
- fish farming facts
- indoor fish farming
Hey, friend!! are you looking for a business farming which can give you too much profit in a short period? Yes, then let me tell you that today I am here with an article which will help you in this. Yes, today I am going to provide you a step by step guide on the commercial fish farming and also the ways, how to make it more and more profitable. From this article, you can find anything related to this farming like what is the importance of using fish in your food or health benefits of fish, advantages of fish rearing and How to start a profitable fish farming business.
Farming a fish does not need much effort, but to achieve a good profit or a good yield from it requires too much dedication, a good management skill, and the technique used for this farming.
Importance of Fish
Every farmer thinks about what is the future aspect of that commercial business which he is going to start. So, friends don’t think too a much about this farming business. There are more than 50 % of people in the world, who use to fish in their diet regularly. Amazing!!! So, there is no need of marketing your fish. One can easily sell it in the local market or can export in the international market.
The major source of fishes is the natural water bodies like seas, river, etc. Due to large consumption of fishes, leads to decrease in stock of them.
What can we do? We can make an effort to ensure the fish stock by raising them is a small fish farm. How to start a small fish farm? So, for starting a small fish farm, you need just some basic things like a pond, a tank for water, an healthy food and a favorable climate condition to them to breed over in a huge quantity.
So, if you are thinking to start a fish farm than it is advisable to raise Catfish, salmon, Tilapia, Tuna are some example most profitable fish to farm.
Let us what are the advantages of raising fishes.
Advantages of Fish Farming
Starting a fish farming has lots of advantages. The main advantages of farming fishes are listed below.
- Importance; As fishes are included in the diet of more than 50% people of the world, there is great demand for fishes in the market.
- Marketing; There is no need to the marketing of your product; fish. The consumer always searches for fresh and healthy fish.
- Good return; Fish farm can give you an instant and rapid income in a very short time period.
- Basic Needs; Basically, fish need a water & healthy food in sufficient amount. However, a clean environment leads to higher production.
- Water Availability; There is easy availability of various types of water bodies like lots of rivers and lake. So, you can start it anywhere, just fill up the pond and start raising fishes.
- Hybrid species; In the market, short time breeding and fast growing hybrid are easily available like catfish, salmon… so raise those most profitable fish.
- Availability of labor; It did not require more labor, but using low-cost labor is advisable.
- Integrated Fish farming; This technique of raising fish is more beneficial than normal farming fish. In this, you can raise fish along with domestic birds, crops, livestock farming, or any vegetable farming. As it will minimize your cost of feeding and also maximize your production.
- Employment Opportunities; An unemployed, educated & young people can start this business easily. And also can earn a lot with good farm management practice and proper care.
- No need of qualification; There is no need of qualification for most profitable fish to farm. One with its basic needs can easily start this most profitable fish farm.
- Bank Loan Availability; If you want to start raising commercial fishes as a business, and you have not a much initial investment required for the establishment of your pond, then you can also apply for bank loan. Visit your nearest bank or financial associate to apply for the loan.
So, raising commercial fishes as a business has lots of advantages. So, let us learn How to start a most profitable fish farm.
Type of Your Farm
One can raise fishes by extensive & intensive farming method. The three most used method for raising fish are cage system, tank system, and Pond system. So, it is up to you for which you would like to go for. But from these three methods, pond system of raising fish is most profitable and also suitable for farming commercial fishes as a business.
But, if you want to small scale fish farming, then go for the option of tank system or cage system of raising fish.
Here below is a brief information of all these three types.
Cage System Fish farming
In cage system, prepare a cage and then place it into the prepared pond or other water bodies like Lake. Start feeding fishes and harvest them as soon as they reach their marketing age. As healthy and quality fish are in market demand.
Tank System Fish farming
In tanks system, prepare some tanks and put into the water bodies, stock fish in that prepared tanks, feed regularly and harvest them as they reach their marketing stage.
Pond System Fish farming
Pond System; As this system is popular of all this three, we will learn this method more deeply.
Let us learn how to start Fish Farming Business?
How to Start Fish Farming Business?
Farming a fish does not need much effort, but to achieve a good profit or a good yield from it requires too much dedication, a good management skill, and the technique used for this farming. Managing a business requires systematic and field related experience. So, if Want to start a fish farm and have not much practical knowledge, then start small scale fish farming, it will help in increasing your practical knowledge & after that, you can increase your fish farm.
For starting a fish farming business, you have to handle out some step involved in it. These steps are listed below
- Preparing or constructing a fish pond; a good enough for your business.
- Selection of proper and good farm location.
- Selection of fast growing and high breeding species of fish.
- Feeding Fish; for good growth of fishes.
- Care and maintenance of you fish farm.
- Timely Harvesting & Marketing of your fishes.
Let us learn these step in more details.
Preparing a Fish Pond
In pond system fish farming, pong preparation is an important task. Construct a pond good enough for fish farming. We can’t operate a fish farming business without a good pond, require for stocking water. One can use an existing pond or prepare a one for this business. But select a place for your pond with a clean environment as it helps in increasing your fish production.
With the help of pond system, you can produce fish through out the complete year. However, raising seasonal fish is also profitable and cost less.
For producing fish with the help of seasonal pond, rear high breeding & fast developing species of fish. It will help you to earn a high production in a very short time period with a rapid income. But take care there should be no shortage of water, as water shortage in fish farming business cause the death of fishes and finally, you as a loss in business.
For preparing pond, first of all, fertilize the pond after cleaning it perfectly. Manage the pH value of soil as well as of water for good production and also try to provide a clean environment as these are key factors in deciding the fish production in your business.
Select a Suitable Farm location
Preparing a proper in this business farming is not enough, it also needs a suitable location so that you can easily connect to the local market. Select a location for your fish farm, which has clean surroundings and also easy water availability. Avoid polluted places for you fish farm as it can lead to hazardous to your fish. A location with full of natural resources like the coastal area or the location near rivers, supposed to be the best location for starting a most profitable fish farm.
Here below is a list of factors to consider in site selection of your fish farm, Learn them.
- Type of Location; While selecting location for your business, avoid sloppy lands, select a location with level land
- Future aspect; Before starting your fish farm at any place, select a bigger piece of land so that you can conduct all types of essential farm exercises.
- Avoid bad environment; Bad environment like a polluted and flooded area may affect your fish raising business too seriously.
- Avoid chemical and fertilizers; Avoid farm located near a crop field, because growers use toxic and harmful chemicals in bigger quantity like pesticide & fertilizers to obtain higher production as these chemicals mixed well with water and make it polluted.
- Area or Size; Select a farm location which is just lower than the natural water bodies as it will minimize the cost of pong filling.
- Transportation; Select a farm location from which you can easily get connected with the local market and also transportation availability. A good transportation helps in marketing your fish, buying all essential equipment and requirements from the market.
So, if you want to start a commercial fish farming, then it is recommended to you that please take care of above mention point to select the best location for your business of rearing fishes.
FAQ: What should be the size of the pond for commercial fish farming?
No, matter! how much bigger is your pond. One can start this by using a small pond also, but the basic thing to notice is the continuous source of water. There should be no shortage of water while farming the fishes. because fish are not able to survive without the water.
As bigger is your pond size, more are the chances of good return from this farming.
Pond Design & Construction
In fish farming, preparing a good pond and selection of the location of your business is the basics, but preparing a good pond at the selected site should have good design and is construct a well.
Firstly, prepare a good design of your pond so that you can construct it well. Construct in accordance with the available facilities. Also think of filling your pond with water, feeding your fish, harvesting them.
But, take care that the construction & designation of your fish pond totally depends on the hybrid or species of fish, which you want to raise. And also the location selected for your fish farm. If you have not sufficient knowledge of designing and construction of fish pond than please take the advice of your nearest Fisheries Institute to learn more about specific pond design for specific fish species.
In any fish rearing business, the atmosphere surrounding your fish pond is also an important task as it will help in the good development of fishes as well your production. A good and clean atmosphere lead to optimum fish production so always try to maintain a healthy atmosphere around your pond.
Selection of Fish Breeds
It is the selected breed of fish, that decide the amount of production in your business. Raising some species of fish is so beneficial to us that it can give a good return with instant income. So, it is advisable to raise a fish species which is high in breeding and is also fast growing or maturing.
Selection of fish hybrid plays a vital role in sustainability and stability of your business. Select a fish species in according with its market demand, availability of the resources, care and maintenance requirements for it etc. Try to utilize all the available resources to maximize your business as possible.
In maximizing your fish farming business, go for Polyculture. Polyculture (growing or raising two or more fish breeds in the same pond) is the best plan for maximum utilization of available resources. You can easily get the quality fish seeds or baby fishes from the nearest fish farmer or from fisheries department.
Take care while buying those hybrid or baby fish from the market. Always buy a healthy baby fish or fish seed for your farm which is not infected. Purchase them from a reliable and known source like a farmer or a fisheries department.
Read some Helpful Articles Also :
- Goat Farming Business Plan ,Profit and Guide
- Aloe Vera Farming Business Plan ,Profit and Guide
- Vermicompost Project, Process and Preparation Guide
- Terrace (Step) farming Inca; Advantages and Disadvantages
- Mushroom Farming Commercial Business, Cultivation ,Procedure
- Sheep Farming Business Plan
- Quail Farming For Egg & Meat Production for Beginners
- Rabbit Farming Guide
- Sunflower Farming
- Profitable Pearl (Moti) Farming Guide
- Honey Bee Farming Business Guide
- Pomegranate Farming Cultivation Information Guide
- Kiwi Fruit Farming Information, Guide
- Sandalwood [Chandan] Tree Cultivation Business Plan
- Dairy Farming Business Plan Guide & Information
Care & Management of Fish Farm
- Feed your fish, a high quality, fresh & Nutritious food to keep them healthy.
- Change pond water occasionally, it will reduce the chance of getting Infection & if not possible, it advisable to make use of some chemical according to the expert’s suggestion
- Observe the health of your fish on a routine basis.
- Perform all the essential farm activity time to time.
- Always try to keep the pond atmosphere clean and fresh, which is suitable for good growth of fishes.
- Always maintain pH of your soil & water, favorable to good growth and do it regularly.
- It is advisable to stock some essential drugs for your fish farm.
- Keep away all types of predators which include snakes, frogs, etc…
So, above are some of the basic instruction that can lead you to a successful fish farmer!!
In this business, in a period of very short time, you will be able to obtain the production as healthy & developed fishes in your pond. Since it is up to you to decide that when to harvest your fishes? Harvesting period of fishes varies from species to species as this business totally depends on the breed used for raising.
However, start collecting your fishes when they reach their marketing age. After about short time period, you will be able to collect healthy fishes. Harvesting healthy fish leads to greater profit as your product; fishes will be sold on the basis of their weight & their rates are fixed in the market.
For collecting fishes from the pond, make use of fishnet or collect it by removing the pond water. Must take care of temp. while collecting fishes, it should be low. So, the collection should be carried out in the morning or in the evening.
After collection, transfer those fishes to the market as soon as possible.
After collecting your product that is, fish from the pond, you have to sell them in the nearby market. As you know that about more than 50% people in the world, uses fish regularly in their diet. There is great demand for fishes in the market, whether it be carp, salmon, tilapia, or a catfish. There are many agencies available, which can help you to export them to foreign countries. So don’t worry about marketing the products, just focus on the other steps.
For selling your collected fishes, it is a good idea to sell them to the local market rather than export them to foreign countries. Because it will directly minimize your cost of exporting. And also good returns. But if you interested in selling your fish to the international market, a farmers association group can help in this.
Hey, friends!! Starting a fish farm as Business is really a profitable business, that can give you a rapid and instant income in a period of short time and is also a good source of employment for the young and educated peoples.
So, if are interested in starting a most profitable fish farm and have not much practical knowledge, then it is a suggestion you to start small scale fish farming, it will help in increasing your practical knowledge & after which, you can increase your fish farm. Always raise hybrids like carp, salmon, tilapia, or a catfish which are some example of most profitable fish to farm.
God bless you!!!