- 1 Commercial Bee farming business in India Profit, Process Guide
- 2 Advantages of honey
- 3 History of bee farming in India
- 4 Bee Colonies
- 5 Advice before starting bee farming Business
- 6 Basic requirement of the honey bee farm
- 7 Basic requirement to start honey bee farm
- 8 Management of bees for pollination in Honey Beekeeping business
- 9 Pests and Diseases
- 10 Benefits of Bee pollination
- 11 Harvesting of Bee Products in Honey Bee Farming
- 12 Project Report On Honey Bee Farming
Commercial Bee farming business in India Profit, Process Guide
Rearing of honey bees is called, Apiculture. Keeping bees at the large scale for commercial purpose as a business plan is increasing in this fast growing world. Apiculture is also related is to the agriculture or is the part of agriculture. Apiculture or bee keeping business need less investment of money and laborers with great care of them and a strong relationship between the human being (beekeeper) and the bees. it too hard enough to keep bee’s as the business; if you did not have some knowledge about them and the apiculture since bees are wild in nature. One can easily learn apiculture and can earn more money as profit with less effort.
In India, Honey bee farming is commonly done by the people in the hilly region, but nowadays, this business is also started in the plains by the local people to earn more money applying less effort. In India, it is operated in many states like the UTTAR PRADESH, JAMMU & KASHMIR, Southern RAJASTHAN, PUNJAB, MAHARASTRA, TAMIL NADU along with the GUJARAT. People are earning a lot of money by keeping bee’s only. Since there is no need of any labor in this business, it is increasing day by day.
So, before moving ahead to learn more about commercial Honey bee farming, let us learn some of the health benefits of honey.
Advantages of honey
Honey is one of the oldest sweeteners on earth. Lucky for us, it also has many health benefits and uses. Honey is so good and is listed as power foods that should be in your kitchen right now. Read on health benefits of honey and make use of this golden sweetener.
- Honey cleans blood and arteries
- Use of honey is also beneficial to the throat infection
- Use of honey by children is the best technique to increase their memory power at the small age
- Use of honey avoids a cough, colds, digestive problem, eye disorders, blood pressure etc
- Honey is also used in the cosmetic
- A teaspoon of honey with fresh butter prevent you from fever
- Use of honey provides lots of energy to the body & helps in increases athletic performance
- Helps prevent cancer and heart disease
- Reduces ulcers and other gastrointestinal disorders:
- Anti-bacterial and anti-fungal
Read some Helpful Articles Also :
- Goat Farming Business Plan ,Profit and Guide
- Aloe Vera Farming Business Plan ,Profit and Guide
- Vermicompost Project, Process and Preparation Guide
- Terrace (Step) farming Inca; Advantages and Disadvantages
- Mushroom Farming Commercial Business, Cultivation ,Procedure
- Sheep Farming Business Plan
- Quail Farming For Egg & Meat Production for Beginners
- Rabbit Farming Guide
- Sunflower Farming
- Profitable Pearl (Moti) Farming Guide
- Honey Bee Farming Business Guide
- Pomegranate Farming Cultivation Information Guide
- Kiwi Fruit Farming Information, Guide
- Sandalwood [Chandan] Tree Cultivation Business Plan
- Dairy Farming Business Plan Guide & Information
Hence, above are some of the health benefits of using the honey in our diet. From the above mention, it also has some more advantage.
Types of Honey (most popular)
There are more than forty types of honey, each with unique properties & a distinctive taste. Each kind of honey has different types of flavonoid profiles which depend on the floral nectar source. The most of the popular honey are:
- Orange Blossom
However, the honey quality varies for each type. Darker & denser honey contains a higher amount of antioxidant content. Monofloral honey (honey from a single plant species) contains the lowest glycemic index (GI). For example, the honey found from Black Locust tree; named locust honey has 32 GI while the commercial honey; named Clover honey, contains highest glycemic index (about 70)
History of bee farming in India
In India, Honey beekeeping has an old history because the text of our ancient has shown that the first sweat tested by them was the honey only, who are living in the mountain caves and forest. Our ancestor discovered bees hive for that divine gift; named honey. It is then followed by the poor landless and unemployed people of the India and spread over with time. The technique of beekeeping can vary from person to person, and from region to region.
There are two techniques;
- Traditional and
- Modern Honey bee farming
Here is complete detail on both of these techniques:
Traditional bee farming
This technique is practice from a long time by the Indian people. People use to maintain bee’s in the old-fashioned clay houses, in wooden logs, in the hollow of the tree stem or in the cracks of the wall, and much more.
To get honey from honey-filled roofs, chopped “chhattas” are either squeezed or boiled on a fire are the common ideas used by the Indian people. Then filter that collected honey with a clean cloth. By following this method, you will get only muddy and unclean honey, which is sold able at a lower rate in the local market. Since there are many imperfections in the removal of the honey from the bee’s hives by the ancient times.
So to get improvement in the production of the honey, modern techniques are developed by the new generation, which is detailed below.
Modern bee farming
This technique is also have been developing from long years ago and is popularly run by most of the new bee farmers. In this techniques, bees are followed in the modern man made wood contaminant and are called as modern beekeepers. Bee rearing in a wooden box is also beneficial because it does not harm the bee eggs since it is protected by the wooden box. Honey can be easily taken out from the box by the beekeeper. Since proper care and a relation of the beekeeper with the bees are the main factors which affect the production of the honey. One can easily earn high amount of profit with low investment.
Raising the Bees in a wooden box is also beneficial because it does not harm the bee eggs since it is protected by the wooden box. Honey can be easily taken out from the box by the beekeeper. Since proper care and a relation of the beekeeper with the bees are the main factors which affect the production of the honey. One can easily earn high amount of profit with low investment.
There are many techniques in the modern bee farming. The various techniques are listed below in more detail: –
Top bar hive method: –
This method of bee farming is highly adopted by the people because of its advantage:-
- Top bar hive is light in weight.
- It is too easy to harvest honey in the top bar hive method
- Bees experience low stress while creating honey through Top bar hive.
Top bar hive method is being used as tradition method by the country; the Greece and the Vietnam for over a long time and this method is common in the Africa for honey collection. Top bar hive does not have any frame because of which, the comb could not be reused after one-time honey extraction. Which further result in the less honey production and finally affecting the profit also. This method is followed by those people, who are more keen on having bee’s in their garden than in honey collection from these bees.
The initial investment in this method to estimate the honey business is too low and require low equipment than the other methods.
However, this method has some disadvantage, listed below: –
- Usually, comb becomes fragile and it is hard enough to collect honey from that.
- These combs could be re-used by the Bee for letting additional honey into that comb.
Horizontal frame hives
This method is better than the fix comb method and top bar hive due to the mobile frame which is used to collect honey. In this method, after one time collecting the honey from the hive, one can set it again for recollecting the honey.
This method is widely adopted for commercial honey collection. Generally, it can be maintained well for tropical agriculture.
Vertical stackable frame hive method
This method is commonly used by the people of united states and other surrounding countries. The main advantage of this method is the large size of the hives. The Rose hive is the latest modified design of this method.
The major weakness of the Rose method is the space needed. It requires 2-3 boxes as big as the nest. So there is need of lots of frames when one is going to raising the bees as a business. It has been assuming that Rose methods bear all the advantage and limitation of this type method. In this method, there is additional brood and one can easily increase his hive by adding framed boxed to the main hive. This will give advantages you as you can collect all the honey by removing the entire box of honey in the place of removal of single frame box at once.
Along with this, there are lots of other methods which may vary from region to region and sometimes person to person. Knowing the methods, require more information about bee colonies and their life cycles. In this step, I can help you.
Castes in the bee colony
Each and every bee colony is made up of three types of bee; castes in the bee according to their work. These three are: –
- A queen bee; usually, the only single fertile female of the colony.
- Female workers bee; which are present in large number, generally around more than 30,000 in particular colony.
- Male drones; which are present in hundreds of number in the particular colony for the breeding purpose.
Different Species of Honey Bee
There are 5 important species of honey bees and they are listed below.
- Indian hive bees
- Little bees
- Rock bees
- Dammer bees or Stingless bees
- European bees or Italian bees
Advice before starting bee farming Business
Beekeeping business needs some field related knowledge and also the practical knowledge of the bee-human relation, etc. Here below are some of the suggestion to the new grower for how to start the bee farming and how to make it more and more profitable.
- Bee-Human Relationship; First off try to understand well the relationship between the human beings and the bees by visiting the bee farm; nearby your region and try to raise your experience with the bee’s colony. It will help you to manage well these bees from starting onwards of it.
- Construction of Bee Farm; Learn their construction and management requirements for the bee’s and try to prepare bettered system for them.
- Toolkit; Think about the tools utilize for the bee keeping business and related things before starting it. It will help to manage your investment well.
- Size; Start raising bees at the small level, in the beginning, generally fewer hives so that you can manage them well and able to drop out your mistakes from the starting of the business. You can increase your bee keeping business with your increasing experience.
- Equipment; Must care of the equipment used for the raising bees. Take care that they should be prepared in accordance with the local environment. Equipment has a big role in the success bee farming since proper use of them increase your profit and also the experience of good bee farmer.
- Marketing; Think of marketing your business and try to contact your customer from the beginning onwards. Usually, the bakeries and chocolate makers are the bigger customers which use honey regularly during the whole year. Try to contact them directly.
Basic requirement of the honey bee farm
Here are some basic needs of the bee farm by which one can improve his honey collection: –
- Clean water source; by natural o artificial source should be available.
- Tree covered area or shade; so that bees can save from the excessive heat of the sun.
- Cool atmosphere; Try to maintain the moisture of surrounding. It will affect your profit. Excessive moisture will affect the honey bee fly and also the honey ripening.
Basic requirement to start honey bee farm
To start the commercial beekeeping business, we need some basic requirements for the honey bees. Below is a list of these essential needs, learn them:
- You should be aware well with the human-bees relationship because a happy relationship with your bees cause to quality honey production in higher amount & they do not leave your hives.
- You should have a good knowledge of bees colony & local flora
Site Requirements in Honey Bee Farming
Selection of a suitable site is also an important task. A proper site for your bee keeping business leads to better result by more honey collection. So, in the selection of the site for your bees farm, learn the following.
Select a location for your farm which has a dry atmosphere with no dampness. A high RH level in your atmosphere will restrict the bees flight while collecting honey & also in ripening the nectar. As mentioned earlier, a good source of clean water is essential for the quality production of honey. So, provide a pure source of water; natural or artificial. Also, trees in your bees farm will provide you a shady & cool place, which protect from the wind. Your site should contain at least some old hive to realize the bees, a sympathy toward them. If not present, construct an artificial one from wooden materials. Also, pollen yielding plants are essential around your bees farm because they directly enhance your honey collection via providing a good source of pollen for the bees & also, minimize their traveling distance for collecting honey. This causes fast & quality collection of honey.
Equipment needed for Honey Bee Farming
For commercial bees keeping business, you need some essential equipment to conduct a different kind of activities in your bee farm.
Here is a list of all the equipment, which is essential for the bees farming. Acquire them
- Honey Extractor
- Bee venom Collector
- Food graded plastic made queen cage
- Queen gate
- SS hive tools of L shaped & curved shaped
- SS knives
- Pollen Trap
- Royal Jelly production & extraction Kit
- Thin & thick beekeeping brushes
- Iron hive tools of L shaped & curved shaped
- Hive gate
- Propolis Strip
- Queen Excluder
- Queen rearing kit
However, a visit to your nearby apiary is a good idea to know more about those essential of beekeeping business.
Management of bees for pollination in Honey Beekeeping business
A good source of pollen for your bees is essential needs for your business because it directly influences your profit via enhancing rapid & quality honey collection.
To save your bees energy, it is better to place the honey collection hive near to any pollen yielding plants because they directly enhance your honey collection via providing a good source of pollen for the bees & also, minimize their traveling distance for collecting honey. This causes fast & quality collection of honey. Also, if you want to migrate the bees hive, then migrate them near to any yard, in the starting of flowering, just after that. Place honey collective hive to provide a site for your bees. It is likely more beneficial to place 5 hives for the Indian bees. Provide enough place to the bees for their collecting honey pollen & to store that collected honey.
Pests and Diseases
The common insects or pests that attack the bee hive are parasitic mite Varroa destructor, Wax moths, Wax beetles, Brood mite, Wasps, Tracheal Mites, Ants, Birds, Bee mites, etc.
The common insects or pests that attack the bee hive are European foulbrood disease, Sac-brood disease (SBV), stone brood disease, American Foul Brood, Nosema Disease, Thai sac brood virus (TSBV), Chalk brood disease, etc
Please consult your local horticulture are controlling particular pest & disease, observed in your farm
Benefits of Bee pollination
Crops that are Benefited by Pollination
Vegetable crops: Cucumber, carrot, pumpkin, coriander, cabbage, cauliflower, melon, onion, radish & the turnip crop.
Fruits & nuts: Apricot, strawberry, apple, almond, peach, citrus, & the litchi crop
Oil seed crops: Mustard, niger, gingerly, sunflower, rape seed, safflower, & all other pollen crops
Production Boost due to Pollination
The bee pollination in bee farming business in beneficial to various type of crop in boosting the crop production. Here below is a list of some crop, of which, there is increasing in yield is observed.
|Apple||about 45 %|
|Sunflower||about 45 %|
|Lucerne||about 20 %|
|Mustard||about 45 %|
|Cotton||more than 25 %|
|Onion||about 90 %|
Harvesting of Bee Products in Honey Bee Farming
Friends! Honey bee keeping business is a multi purpose business. Along with honey collection, bee keeping business has many other products that should be harvested timely to get more profit from it. the main products beekeeping business are Bees Wax, Bee Venom, Honey, Propolis, Royal Jelly, & Pollen. However, the main product is the Honey. Timely and proper harvesting of honey is more beneficial to the grower.
So, for collecting good quality of honey, start collecting honey in the ending of flowering season. The method of collecting or harvesting honey varies on the basis of honey collecting hives, used for bee farming. Like in top-bar hives & in traditional hive, harvesting of only those comb should be done which contains ripen honey with fine layer sorrounded by white beeswax. However, there are many honey extractor equipment are available in the market. Acquire a good one & make use of it for honey extraction from super comb.
Commercially, the business of keeping honey bee is the most profitable one that can give you rapid income in very short time. As there is great demand for honey in the market because of its lots of health benefits, there is no need of marketing your business.
Any one can start this business at small scale or as commercial business. If you want to start this beekeping business at large scale, the with an initial investment of about 1 or 1.5 lac, you can start it. It is a good thing to start with less hive, because it will help in raising your practical knowledge of bee farming with low care & management. Initial investment depends on your strength and the best time for starting this business is to start in late August to early September.
Here is a representation Beekeeping business project report.
Project Report On Honey Bee Farming
Costing and Returns in the bee farming
Raising the Bees as business needs little investment in the beginning and then gives you a big profit after some time. So you have to first settle this business and then proper care will take you to become a successful businessman.
In the starting of this business, you have to invest some few lakh on it and the return is too big; since honey is rarely available in the market and you can easily sell organic honey at rate 400 to 700 Rs. Rate may vary from region to region according to its demand and the producers of honey.
Here is some information about costing and returns of the honey bee farm: –
100 Honey Bee Box (Estimation)
Expense per box = 3,500 Rs.
Total = 3,500 Rs x 100 box = 3,50,000 Rs.
Miscellaneous (extra) Expense = 1,75,000 Rs (including worker wgaes, traveling cost, etc).
Assuming 40 kg honey produced per box in a year
Total yield = 40 Kg per box x 100 Box = 4000 Kg Honey
Let us thinking of low rate; 350 Rs per kg, then
Total income = 350 Rs x 4000 kg = Rs 14,00,000 (14 lakh rupees approximately)
Really a huge income from low investment in a single year !!!
Net Profit= 14,00,000 – (3,50,000+ 1,75,000) = 10,00,000+
If bee farming is observed at large level, you can become Lakhpati in a short period. For this, you have to just love nature, dedication to that and give patience to your work.
Loan Availability For Bee Farming Business
Currently, if you are interested in starting a bee farming business but did not have sufficient capital to start it, then govt. have started help by providing a loan for your business. The government has provided loan facility from the nationalized banks for this industry. Loans up to 2 to 5 lakh Rs is easily available for this business since this industry falls under the SSI category. For more detailed you can contact your nearby branch.