- 1 Maize Cultivation Process Profit and Information For Beginner
- 1.1 Climatic Requirements For Maize Cultivation
- 1.2 Suitable Soils For Maize Production
- 1.3 Season For Maize Crop Cultivation In India
- 1.4 Land Preparation For Maize Production
- 1.5 Seed Rate And Seed Treatment In Maize Cultivation
- 1.6 How is maize grown?
- 1.7 What fertilizer to use for maize?
- 1.8 What nutrients are needed to grow corn?
- 1.9 Best Irrigation System For Maize
- 1.10 Weed Control Methods In Maize Production
- 1.11 Pest And Diseases Of Maize In India
- 1.12 When Do Farmers Harvest Corn?
- 2 Where Is Maize Mostly Grown?
- 3 Various Maize Names And Types Of Maize Varieties
- 4 What are the health benefits of corn?
- 5 Maize Yield Per Hectare In India
Maize Cultivation Process Profit and Information For Beginner
Generally, Maize is also known as a corn in worldwide. It is a large grain plant and globally popular as a queen of grains. The maize is a third most important food and cash crops in India after wheat and rice. In India maize is grown in many states and it’s used for different purpose.
Maize is used for animal’s food, food grain, sweet corn, baby corn, green cobs, and pop corn. In Indian cooking, Corn flour is consumed widely. It is also used as a raw material in thousand of industrial products.
- Alcoholic beverages
- Food sweeteners
- Food cereals
- Paper Industries
The scientific name of the maize is Zea mays and belongs to the family of grasses (Poaceae).
Climatic Requirements For Maize Cultivation
In India Maize cultivation mainly take before monsoon start and it is the Kharif crop. The maize crop generally, grows under temperatures between 22°C to 30°C and its maximum tolerates as 35°C temperatures. In a year maize crop requires at least 50 to 90 cm of rainfall.
Suitable Soils For Maize Production
Maize cultivation can be successfully done in various soils like clay loam, sand loamy, and black cotton soil. If you want a better yield of maize crop then chose a soil which has good organic matter content with high water holding capacity. In Maize farming, the PH of soil required in between 5.5 to 7.0. Before cultivate the soil test is required for to find out the deficiency of any nutrient values in the soil. If any deficiency occurs it can be cover at the land preparation stage by adding some good organic matter or compost.
Read some Helpful Articles Also :
- Goat Farming Business Plan ,Profit and Guide
- Aloe Vera Farming Business Plan ,Profit and Guide
- Vermicompost Project, Process and Preparation Guide
- Terrace (Step) farming Inca; Advantages and Disadvantages
- Mushroom Farming Commercial Business, Cultivation ,Procedure
- Sheep Farming Business Plan
- Quail Farming For Egg & Meat Production for Beginners
- Rabbit Farming Guide
- Sunflower Farming
- Profitable Pearl (Moti) Farming Guide
- Honey Bee Farming Business Guide
- Pomegranate Farming Cultivation Information Guide
- Kiwi Fruit Farming Information, Guide
- Sandalwood [Chandan] Tree Cultivation Business Plan
- Dairy Farming Business Plan Guide & Information
Season For Maize Crop Cultivation In India
Maize is the Kharif crop and generally, in India maize crop cultivated during the June to July, Sept to Oct and Jan to Feb seasons. You can also sow during the Nov to Dec for seed production.
Land Preparation For Maize Production
Before maize cultivation Ploughing should be done on a land for to get fine tilth. You can use the plow for plowing. You can also apply 13 to 14 tons of Farm Yard Manure per hectare (F.M.Y) and 10 Azospirillum packets in the field. For saving irrigated water you will make the furrow and ridges with 45 cm to 50 cm spacing on a land.
Seed Rate And Seed Treatment In Maize Cultivation
Maize Seed Rate Per Hectare
- 10 to 11 kg maize seeds are required for cultivating the one-hectare farm.
Corn Seed Treatment Chemicals
- Apply 2 grams thiram or carbendazim on seeds.
- One day after of seed treatment apply 600 grams of Azospirillum on corn seeds with rice gruel and leave them for 15 to 20 minutes below the shade.
How is maize grown?
In India, Maize cultivation is always done by using seeds. You must keep the 10 cm spacing between plant to plant and per second sow 2 seeds on a farm.
What fertilizer to use for maize?
Generally, every farmer applied Farm Yard Manure at the land preparation time in corn farming. But if you want a high yield of maize crop then apply following inorganic fertilizers on farm per hectare.
- Super phosphate: 470 kg
- Urea: 200 kg
- Potash : 180 kg
You should also apply following inorganic fertilizers on farm per hectare after 20 days of sowing.
- Urea: 50 to 60 kg
After 40 days of sowings apply following fertilizers on farm per hectare for getting a high yield of the maize crop.
- Urea: 120 kg
- Potash: 50 kg
What nutrients are needed to grow corn?
Best Irrigation System For Maize
In Maize farming, you can require irrigation immediately after sowing of corn seeds are done. On the basis of soil type and seasons give the life irrigation to maize crop on the third or fourth day of sowing. Life irrigation system may not require in the rainy season. Normally, up to 25 to 30 days in maize cultivation process, you can require less irrigation. Then after maize crop requires irrigation once in a week.
Weed Control Methods In Maize Production
For a better yield of the maize crop, you may require a two hand wedding. You must remove extra weed around maize plants after 20 to 25 days of sowing and then after other weeds are taking on 40 to 45 days of sowing.
You can also apply some fertilizers on a field for remove extra weeds.
- 500 grams Atrazin + 1000 liters water.
Pest And Diseases Of Maize In India
Major Insect Pest Of Maize
|Pest effect on plant||Pest effect on grain|
|African maize stem borer||Angoumois grain moth|
|African pink borer||Corn earworm|
|Corn leaf aphid||Grain borers|
|Corn stunt leafhoppers||Grain weevils|
|Cutworm||Indian meal moth|
|Diabrotica beetles and rootworms||Rats and birds|
|European maize borer||Seedcorn maggot|
|Flea Beetles and Flea Beetle Rootworms|
|Maize billbugs and billbug grubs|
|Neotropical corn borer|
|Oriental corn borer|
|Southwestern maize borer|
|Spotted sorghum stem borer|
Diseases Of Maize With Pictures
|Foliar diseases||Stalk rots and smuts||Ear rots||viruses and Mollicutes|
|Banded leaf and sheath blight||Charcoal stalk rot||Aspergillus ear rot||Corn stunt|
|Common rust||False head smut||Common smut||Maize dwarf mosaic virus|
|Curvularia leaf spot||Fusarium and gibberella stalk rot||Fusarium and gibberella ear rot||Maize streak virus|
|Gray leaf spot||Head smut||Penicillium ear rot||Sugarcane mosaic virus|
|Macrospora leaf stripe||Pythium stalk rot||Stenocarpella ear rot|
|Maydis leaf blight||Stenocarpella stalk rot|
|Phaeosphaeria leaf spot|
|Sorghum downy mildew|
|Sugarcane downy mildew|
|Turcicum leaf blight|
When Do Farmers Harvest Corn?
In corn farming harvesting of the crop is done when the outer green color cover of corn cob turns into white color. Normally, harvest time of maize crop is mid-September, though it is also taking in October.
There are many corn harvester machines are available in India but harvesting of corn crop generally, done by hand. Maize harvester machine is used for to separate corn seeds from the cob.
Where Is Maize Mostly Grown?
Maize Production In World
- United States
- The European Union
Maize Production In India State Wise
In India, maize cultivation is largely done in north side and MP at the first position for production of maize in the country.
- Himachal Pradesh
- Jammu and Kashmir
- Andhra Pradesh
- south india
Various Maize Names And Types Of Maize Varieties
Other Names Maize In India
- Maka (Hindi, Marathi, Oriya)
- Bhutta (Bengali)
- Makai (Gujarati)
- Makaa’y (Kashmiri)
- Musikinu jola (Kannada)
- Cholam (Malayalam)
- Makka Cholam (Tamil)
- Mokka jonnalu (Telugu)
List Of Varieties Of Maize In India
- Himalayan 123
- L. 54
What are the health benefits of corn?
- Maize is good for digestion.
- Corn helps in Preventing Anemia.
- Corn helps in Increased Energy.
- Corns reduce LDL Cholesterol.
- Corn is used for Weight Gain.
- Corn also Prevents Diabetes And Hypertension.
- Corn helps to Improves Vision.
- Anti-cancer Properties.
- Beneficial During Pregnancy.
- Beneficial For Heart.
- Prevents Alzheimer’s disease.
- Combats Hair Loss And Dryness.
- Prevents Skin Problems.
Maize Yield Per Hectare In India
In maize cultivation yield of crop mainly depends on the climate, field management, irrigation, variety and quality of seeds, and fertilizers. If you have a proper land and good farm management then you can get the 2500 kg corn yield per hectare.
In the Indian market, maize or corns are very demanded. So, you can get the good returns from the maize cultivation process. This all information that is required for any farmer or investor to grow Maize or Corn.
I hope I have covered the all informative details for maize cultivation process in India. If you like this information then please gives your review in the comment box and share this information with you other investor/ farmers friends.