- 1 Pomegranate Farming Tips Process, Profit and Cultivation
- 2 Increase your yield by the following way
Pomegranate Farming Tips Process, Profit and Cultivation
Introduction to Pomegranate Farming
Pomegranate Farming is the best business for the farmers to earn more and more profit.Pomegranate (Punica granatum) is one of the important commercial fruit. It is assumed that it is native fruit of the Persia; Nowadays known as IRAN. It is more beneficial economically as you have once started its farming, than they give yield more than 150 years.
In this article I am going to describe you pomegranate farming techniques that will help you more and more.
Pomegranate fruit has lots of its medical benefits along with its greater demand in market. This fruit can be utilized in fresh form or in the form of its products like Juice, Jam, Squash, Syrup, Canned slice etc. In India, about more than 70% of is products are canned slice and juice, the most demanding product of the Pomegranate fruit in local market.
In the World, Pomegranate is commonly cultivated in the Caucasus region, Africa, Central Asia along with the Indian subcontinent. In India, It is commonly cultivated in the Maharashtra along with the small region of the nearby state; Gujarat, Telangana, Himachal Pradesh, Karnataka, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Utter Pradesh and Haryana.
India is the largest producer of this fruits, mainly export abroad in Kuwait, Bahrain, Oman, Saudi Arabia, U.A.E., etc. There is great demands of “Ganesh and Aarakta” Pomegranate fruit in the international markets.
Read some Helpful Articles Also :
- Goat Farming Business Plan ,Profit and Guide
- Aloe Vera Farming Business Plan ,Profit and Guide
- Vermicompost Project, Process and Preparation Guide
- Terrace (Step) farming Inca; Advantages and Disadvantages
- Mushroom Farming Commercial Business, Cultivation ,Procedure
- Sheep Farming Business Plan
- Quail Farming For Egg & Meat Production for Beginners
- Rabbit Farming Guide
- Sunflower Farming
- Profitable Pearl (Moti) Farming Guide
- Honey Bee Farming Business Guide
- Pomegranate Farming Cultivation Information Guide
- Kiwi Fruit Farming Information, Guide
- Sandalwood [Chandan] Tree Cultivation Business Plan
- Dairy Farming Business Plan Guide & Information
Other name of Pomegranate fruit
Sipak (Bosnian), Shege (Albanian), Pomegranait (Irish), Granada (spanish, Filipino), Anaar (Nepali, Iran, India), Nar (Bulgaria, Turkey), Me lagrana (Italian), Granateple ( Norway), Za kuro (Japan), Totum (Cambodia), Grenadine (German).
In india, there are lots of different names of pomegranate in local langauge which are given here.
Anaar (Hindi, Punjabi), Ma adhala naarnga (Malayalam), Dalimb (Konkani), Da anjmma (Telugu), Dadam (Gujarati), Dalimbo (Oriya), Dalim (Assame), Dalimba (Kannada), Dalimb (Marathi), Dalim (Bengali), Dan (Kashmiri), Kamfoi (Manipuri)
1.Climate condition for pomegranate and its verities
Semi-arid type of climate condition provide better growth to the Pomegranate plant up to the height of 500 meters. Sunlight is the necessary condition for growing the pomegranate fruit along with dry summer and cold winter. Pomegranate tree could not grow well under shade, so grow pomegranate tree in the region where there is least shaded and plenty of sunlight during the whole day. During the fruit development, the drier hot weather is required till the season of fruit ripening. Up to some extent, it can tolerate frost but it could not bear the temperature below -10’C and more as result there is an effect on yield.
Sandy land which has high drainage power are the best preferred for the cultivation of the pomegranate. There are lots of verities of pomegranate fruit which can be grown in different types of climate and condition. Selection of good hybrid for cultivation give greater amount of yield. The various hybrid found in India are Alandi/Vadki,dholka, Kandhari, Kabul, Muskati Red, Paper Shelled, Spanish Ruby, Ganesh( GB1, G137, P23, P26), Mridula Aarakta, Jyoti, Ruby, IIHR, Selection, Yercaud 1 and Co 1. Better hybrid gives greater amount of profit with high yield.
Lands are prepared by more and more plowing than leveling will maintain the air level in the soil which helps the plant to grow rapidly. Loamy soil which is rich in organic matter is supposed to be the best soil for farming pomegranate. The soil must have pH in range between 5.5 to 7.0 but it can also be cultivated in the acidic and basic medium also. Excessive clay create problem in drainage and this crop requires soil which has good drainage power. clay cause the drainage problem and moisture problem which responsible for the fruit cracking; single disorder found in this fruit cultivation.
2.Pomegranate Planting System
In the rainy season, air leveling take place and is also done in November-December. After air leveling, planting is done in the spring and later on in some tropical region.
Usually, planting with high density, yields 2-2.5 more than the common density planting. The normal spacing for planting is square of 5*5 meters; commonly used in the north India along with the Deccan Plateau. In present, new grower used 2.5*4.5 spacing planting to get greater amount of yield. More closer spacing will increase the chance of pest incidence.
Generally, the square system of planting is used. The distance between the plant can vary with soil type and the climate condition. Pits of 60*60*60 cm are dug for the square system for spacing of 5 cm, a month before its planting. Keep them open them to get sunlight and sprinkle about 50 gm of .05% BHC (Benzene Hexa Chloride) is used to avoid insect-like termites.
3.Pmegranate Harvesting and yield
Pomegranate take at least four to five years to give their first yield. Pomegranate fruit can be picked in any time during the whole year as they are not climatic fruit. Usually they are picked in the summer in hot and dry climate. Fruits are picked after three months after their setting on plant. Color change is helpful in picking since they indicate that fruits are going to mature. Fruits turns yellowish red color and also suppressed on side of fruits, when they are mature. Picking of immature and over mature fruit will affect your yield.
Increase your yield by the following way
1) Drip irrigation: – Drip irrigation is the best way to water plant because it saves water up to one-third of its total irrigation requirement and also increase the yield up to more than 25 %.
2) Training: – Trained plant to a single stem or multi stem with the help of shears or clippers and give plant look like any plant. Also remove the scrub, deadly branches along with the leaves.
3) Pruning: – Remove ground suckers, water shoots, cross branches, dead and infected twigs by giving a shape to the plant. The removal of old spurs will enhance the growth of the new Spurs.
4) Inter cropping: – Inter cropping increase your profit with an additional yield .
5) Regulation of bearing: – keep appropriate numbers of flowers on each plant so that the give fruits from the best quality.
Disease and Disorder found in Pomegranate Farming
There are no disease notice in the Pomegranate cultivation except the fruit rot and leaf spot, which can be prevented by giving a specific dose of pesticide in the rainy season. The bark eating caterpillar along with the butterfly are some insect which affects the yield. They can be prevented by sprinkling pesticide on the plant and tree.
Fruit cracking is major disorder found in the pomegranate cultivation which arise due to the boron deficiency and imbalance moisture in the soil.
Management after harvesting of Pomegranate
Management after harvesting is more important in the pomegranate cultivation because if it is not maintain properly, than it will effect your yield. You must have to maintain its color, grading by size, it quality and more is its sweetness. You can keep them as best by: –
1) Grading by size : – grading of fruits is done on the basis of quality including size, weight, color and more. Grading are made in following way :-
1) A grade = 350 gm and more
2) B grade = 200 to 350 gm
3) C grade = 200 gm and less than it
2) Storage : – storage the fruit is also important, it will helps you to keep your yield with you for more time and sell them in best price to the retailer. Commonly, you can store them up to two months and little more.
3) Packing : – packing is to be done in suitable boxes of quality so that you can easily demands better price in change for your yield.
4) Transport and marketing : – uses of trucks and such like vehicle are cheaper way of transportation. For marketing, you can set a sells agent on commission base in the market which makes you more profitable.
Medical benefits of Pomegranate fruit
Pomegranate fruits are economical fruit as well has plenty of medical benefits. Its medical advantages are : –
- They are good source of minerals and vitamins
- They increase the immunity power of body
- They maintain the sugar level in the blood
- They prevent many disease like diarrhoea, anaemia…
- They improves heart health by maintaining the blood pressure level in the body
- They also reduce the risk of cancer including skin cancer
- They are excellent anti aging agent
- They lowers the dental plaque
- They also help in reducing the depression and also healing the skin scars