Dairy Farming Business Plan In India About Dairy Farming
Do you know that India tops the list of milk production, all over the world? So, friends, today we are going to learn dairy farming as a business plan in India. We will also see a project report to learn the costing and investment required for starting a dairy farming business.
Friend, this business plan is being spread more and more because of too much profit in this business at small scale and large scale. This is also one the cheapest business to start, that can give you more income in a very short time period. Economically, this business plays a vital role in the economy of the country, providing plenty of job opportunity to numbers of people.
One can start this business by keeping only one or ten cattle also and can increase this business up to large scale in the following years. Anyone can start this business having Rs 50000 or one lack as the initial capital investment. The only thing that needs to care is the breeds. You should be well aware of which breeds should be raised so that your business can be more profitable.
The business of milking is very popular in every corner because everyone likes to drink milk daily and also uses many milk product regularly. But, cattle farming with modern milk production techniques or method in this business can help in earning a huge income in a very short interval. However, with a good and effective strategic plan in this business, anyone can earn millions of money from it. However, there are also some of the problems in the dairy farming business.
Nowadays, their many degrees are studied in this business such as agriculture, dairy science, and other related fields degree. But, you need a good practical base experience in this field to become a successful milk producer. Small milk producers need big efforts and grow slowly, whereas big milk producers require more capital to obtain good returns from this business.
Whatever is this, this business requires good management and care such as milking (milk extraction), feeding, diseases control measures, whether it may be a small or large scale business. Also, a good support of veterinarians and nutrition experts is also required for managing animals health. Milking or extracting milk with advanced techniques is more beneficial rather than milking traditionally because it requires laborious effort as well supervision. Nowadays, with advanced technology in dairy farming, a farmer can milk a cattle, at least three times a day.
What is Importance of Dairy Farming in India
Milk production business in India is one traditional business because of there is an excellent demand for the milk, curd, buttermilk, and numbers of others dairy products and you can be sold them at every corner of the world throughout the year. This business is also encouraged by the govt. and other organization because this business is an eco-friendly business, which never pollutes the atmosphere in any way. And, also this business does not require much skill to manage.
Besides this, this business also brings a great opportunity for these unemployed, educated and also the illiterate youth. If this business is done with proper planning and management, it gives maximum output. This business is successful in every type of climate and weather. There are many government schemes and loans available for starting a dairy farming business plan.
Check here Also More articles:
- Goat Farming Business Plan ,Profit and Guide
- Aloe Vera Farming Business Plan ,Profit and Guide
- Vermicompost Project, Process and Preparation Guide
- Terrace (Step) farming Inca; Advantages and Disadvantages
- Mushroom Farming Commercial Business, Cultivation ,Procedure
- Sheep Farming Business Plan
- Quail Farming For Egg & Meat Production for Beginners
- Rabbit Farming Guide
- Sunflower Farming
- Profitable Pearl (Moti) Farming Guide
- Honey Bee Farming Business Guide
- Pomegranate Farming Cultivation Information Guide
- Kiwi Fruit Farming Information, Guide
- Sandalwood [Chandan] Tree Cultivation Business Plan
- Dairy Farming Business Plan Guide & Information
However, to make it a successful business, it requires some responsibilities including the monitoring of animals health, essential medicines for them, proper & sufficient feeding, suitable milking equipment along with waste management. Whatever is this, starting a dairy business is easier than starting other business. You can supply your collected milk to your nearby region or to the companies for the process of dairy.
Point to Consider Before Starting a New Dairy Farm
Dairy Farming Business is easier than other businesses, but it requires proper care and management of cattle along with some task to do. So, before going to start a new dairy farm, here below are some pointers to consider. Learn them.
- Dairy Breed: Starting a farm with proper species of cattle is require for good milk production.
- Milking Practice: As your business is totally depended on the milking, a good milk extraction practice is required.
- Feed & Water Supply for Cattle: To have healthy cattle, a proper and nutritious food is required along with sufficient amount of water.
- Good Infrastructure: A good infrastructure is needed for establishing a good dairy farm
- Practical Base Knowledge of Dairy: You should also have good practical base knowledge of cattle to earn more profit.
- Health and Safety of Cattles: Monitor the health and safety of your cattle because unhealthy cattle are unable to produce milk in more amount.
- Health Precaution: A good support of veterinarians and nutrition experts is also required for managing animals health.
- Affordable Environment for Cattle: A good environment around your business is also required to produce more milk.
- Cleanliness while Milking: This is the most important task in this business. As your business is mainly depended on the milk quality, a milk having not good quality is always refused by all.
So, always think on all these mentioned above point, before starting a new dairy farming business.
How to Start Dairy Farming Business
To start a dairy farming business, you need to have knowledge of some point. So, here below is the dairy farming guide for you. Learn it and be a successful milk producer.
Prepare a Good Shelter For Cattle
As cattle are large mammals, you need a large space for them for their comforts and protection as a housing. They can produce more milk under favorable conditions. You can favorable house depending on your investment and scale of business. A proper housing for cattle will helps you in protecting them from strong sunlight, high humidity, snowfall, frost, heavy rainfall, strong winds, and also from endo as well ectoparasites. Also, try to maintain the house temp. so, that your raise cattle can produce more milk. A temp. ranging between 18 to 30 ‘C is considered as a comfortable temperature for all types of cattle like buffaloes, goat, cow, etc. Also, a temp, more than 50 ‘C will create a climatic stress for your cattle. A heavy rainfall with cold climate is also a major cause of climatic stress.
Nowadays, there are several techniques, available to get relieved from such problem. Also, a well-ventilated shelter is also required for well milk production. A sufficient amount of fresh air through cattle housing is also required to ensure good health of dairy animals.
Select A Suitable Dairy Breed of Cattle
Selecting a proper breed of dairy cattle is also important in deciding the profit, a high milk producing cattle breeds can give you more profit with same costing and farm management. So, here below is the list of top cattle breeds which have tops in the milk-producing capacity along with their specification.
|Cattle Breeds||Milk Producing Capacity||Specification|
|Holstein Cattle Breed||More than 11,000 ltr per year||Best dairy breed which popular all over the world for higher milk production|
|Norwegian Red Cattle Breed||More than 10,000 ltr per year||Hardy dairy breed, well know for richness in milk|
|Kostroma Cattle Breed||More than 10,000 ltr per year||Long live dairy breeds|
|Brown Swiss Cattle Breed||More than 9,000 ltr per year||Milf from this breed is popular for cheese production|
|Swedish Red Cattle Breed||More than 8,000 ltr per year||Have long body size with robust structure|
|Ayrshire Cattle Breed||More than 8,000 ltr per year||A famous dairy brees which are easy to raise commercially|
|Angeln Cattle Breed||More than 7,500 ltr per year||This breed is famous for high milk fat|
|Guernsey cattle Breed||More than 7,000 ltr per year||Well known for producing A2 quality milk|
|Milking Shorthorn Dairy Breed||More than 7,000 ltr per year||–|
|Pie Rouge des Plaines||More than 6,500 ltr per year||–|
However, select a dairy breed which is high in milk production, also is also have good disease resistant capacity in accordance with your climatic condition.
Fodder Management in Dairy Farming
For Profitable dairy farming, a proper food with clean and fresh water in sufficient amount is required in dairy farming business. It is a good idea to set a daily feeding schedule of dairy cows or cattle breeds.
You can use, Maize, Sorghum, Jowar, Bicolor, Pearl Millet or Bajra, Cowpea, Oats and many other green fodders to feed your dairy breeds. Presently, nowadays, there are numbers of nutritious fodder are available in the market, feeding with them is also beneficial for you in achieving a good quality of milk.
How much fodder to a dairy breed or cow feed per day? It depends on the size, weight, the milk-producing capacity of that dairy breeds, but provide a nutritious fodder to you dairy product in sufficient amount.
Dairy Farm Management
Keep to the daily hygiene of your farm. Basically, a good dairy management in livestock farm is to be carried out to keep the farm clean. Always clean your farm by disposing of you farm waste such as urine, dung, fodder waste… This will also help in minimizing the odor problem in your farm. Collect the urine and dung a proper site and sold to nearby farmers.
Cattle | Diseases, and Treatment
Tick infestation or Cattle Tick
In dairy farming, Tick infestation a common and also major disease that observed in all types of breeds, such as sheeps, goat, buffaloes, cows, and other such domestic animals. As tick is one of the parasitic diseases, it sucks the blood from the cattle and makes them unhealthy which causes less milk production. Tick infection also gives birth to numbers of skin diseases in cattle.
So, tick infection should be controlled as soon as they observed on the cattle. Since, there are many ways of controlling measure of tick infection, of which, the chemicals way such as spraying insecticides on cattle is the best way.
Presence of one tick on cattle can give birth up to more than 1500 young ones. So, for controlling tick, consider the following to control ticks.
- Keep cattle housing clean by removing the waste material from the shed.
- The tick can hide in the cracks and crevices, so remove them, if present in cattle housing.
- Spraying of recommended insecticides should be done under veterinarian instruction in the whole dairy farm.
- Check up on cattle should be done at an interval of 20 days, regularly. Take specific care in the beginning of monsoon and winter.
Never use BHC (Benzene Hexachloride powder), or DDT for controlling the ectoparasite, because the use of them is banned.
However, an intense sol. of common salt are successful in controlling ticks.
Breeding cattle is also an important task to perform in this business. But, breeding cattle at the proper stage is more beneficial to breed a healthy and quality breed of a cattle. So, let us learn how to breed cattle successfully in following steps.
Signs of Oestrus in the Cattle
The following is the list of some common sign of Oestrus in the cattle such as cows and buffaloes.
- Frequent urination
- Increased restlessness
- Mounted standing from others
- Gummy mucus stretching from vulva
- Mucus spread on the private part.
- Less milk production
- Decreased in feed intake amount
- Raising tail frequently
How Long Is a Cow in Heat?
Normally, most of the cattle breeds stand in a heat for 15 to 28 hrs. However, usually, an estrous breed of cow stand mounted for about 25 to 50 times during a single estrous period.
Breeding Cattle Successfully
If you observed them frequently or particularly, then go to a veterinary check sooner as possible, because of this long last for short time. You can go for manual breeding with the help of male cattle, but nowadays, there is less availability of male cattle easily.
Is it always safer to go at least one check-up of the pregnancy cattle after about 75 days from the treatment, it will help you in know the status of the cattle, whether it breed successfully or not? It will also help in faulty hormonal provocations.
Management for Successful Cattle Breeding
Observed heat signs in cattle, at least 3 times a day. Supervise every cattle to identifying the oestrus through breeding wheels and records. You can also use teaser bulls for this. Also, silent or weak oestrus is normal in buffalo and cow breeds in the postpartum period.
However, providing nutritious food at proper breeding age will help in attaining proper body weight and also reproduce a healthy and quality young one from raised cattle. However, a well qualified veterinary doctor can help you more in this, breeding cattle properly and also suggest the best, depending on the basis of condition and symptoms.
How Long Is a Cow Pregnant Before Giving Birth?
Normally, the Gestation length for cattle varies from 280 days to 295 days. But, almost, for most of the breeds, the gestation length for cattle is 284 days.
First Calving Age (Months)
Young ones from the cattle are become ready for breeding after about age of three years. However, a good quality and healthy dairy breeds can give birth to their first calve at about the age of 30 months.
Young ones of the breed should be fed sufficiently to improve their health and also quality. A sufficient food to these newborn calves can help them in attaining proper weight. Also, vaccination timely is the important task, which needs attention and care. Consult a well-qualified veterans doctor, for proper vaccination, time to time.
Milking Your Cattle or Milking Process
As your business is most dependent on the milk and milk products, you should have good knowledge of milking practice to earn profit from this business. If you have not a good practice of milking, then sometimes there are some chances of lowering the milk production capacity of any types of dairy breeds, which causes low milk production and less income from milk. So, here below is a guide for you learn the milking practices and how to manage it well.
- Train Few Milkers: Train at least few workers from well-known milk machine company. It will help you in learning the milking biology, milking techniques, milking equipment, as well as how to maintain these acquired milking machines or equipment, more technically and practically.
- A good Supervision: If you are going to milking with milk extractor, it needs a good supervision, because machines do not have sense, they work till there is a light connection with them. A small mistake can lead to more loss.
- Maintain Hygiene: A proper hygiene of your dairy farm is to be done on the regular basis, including the hygiene of milking equipment, milking routing. Also, clean the cattle every day.
- Manual Milking: If you could not afford milk extracting equipment, then learn manual milking practice from your neighbors or hires few on salary base. Always select only calm cattle, if you are planning for this.
- Create Comfortable Atmosphere: For higher milk production, a well and comfortable atmosphere in your dairy farm is should be created, so that happy cattle milk more.
Dairy farm loan
In India, the central govt. is providing financial assistance for starting a new dairy farming business plan in the rural area for poor people. There are numbers of Government Dairy department, which are providing loan for this business depending on the scale of your business. However, NABARD (National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development) is the best and most preferred for getting a loan for dairy farming.
Friends, Dairy farming is really a profitable and fun giving business if done by raising suitable dairy breeds with modern dairy techniques. Also, a good dairy farming management will help you more. I hope that you learn the following in details, in this article.
- Dairy farming business plan
- Dairy farm in India & Some Important
- Dairy farming videos
- Dairy farm loan
Learn dairy farm project report here