- 1 Turkey Farming – How to Raise Turkey Birds for Meat
- 2 How to Raise Turkey Birds For Meat Production
- 3 Selection of Suitable Turkey Breeds
- 4 Housing and Fencing in Turkey Farming
- 5 Turkey Rearing System
- 6 Feeding Management in Turkey Meat Production
- 7 Brooding Management in Turkey Farming
- 8 Care and Management of Turkey
- 9 Marketing in Turkey Farming
- 10 Final Word
Turkey Farming – How to Raise Turkey Birds for Meat
Turkey (Meleagris Galloparo) is a bird which is most popular on the American continent and the Europe continent. And, with the ease of popularity of bird, the grower had begun raising or rearing of turkey bird as a business plan. And, the business of turkey farming is profitable and fun providing too!!!
Turkey Farming Business Plan is getting more and more popularity all over the world. Because these birds have the faster growth rate as like poultry and layer birds have. And, reach their slaughter within the short span of time.
Turkey farming or turkey rearing is mainly done for egg and meat production. However, the purpose of meat production of raising turkey is more popular than the turkey egg production. Although people also used to keep toms (mature male turkey) as a pet at home, hotel, resort, garden, etc.
The less popularity of turkey farming business is because of the early establishment of poultry farming and layer farming.
But, there is great market demand for lean meat obtain from turkey’s. And, it increases up and up with the popularity of birds.
The rearing business of turkey is similar to other poultry birds farming like ducks, quails, etc. But, it is easy to raise turkey bird in compare to other poultry birds. Because birds are very familiar with the human beings.
Small farmers can start this marvelous business plan and can create a gold bar of it within a short time period. They can be grown easily in the free-range system and under semi-intensive rearing system. Capital input while making the shelter for them, equipment requires is lower than other poultry bird farming.
The rearing of birds for meat purpose is more popular. Since are not suitable for egg production because of fastest growth rate amongst poultry birds. Although, there is also less management of birds is required while rearing these lean meat producers.
So, let us learn how profitable and how to raise turkey birds as a business plan.
How to Raise Turkey Birds For Meat Production
Raising turkey birds for meat production is a good idea to create income. Because, with increasing food requirement, the lean meat obtain from turkey birds is gaining more and more popularity.
The steps involve in commercial turkey birds farming are:
- Selection of Suitable Turkey Breeds
- Constructing a Comfortable Housing For Birds
- Selection of Birds rearing system
- Feeding and Watering Management
- Brooding Management and
- Care and Management of pests and diseases in birds
So, let us learn how to raise turkey birds for meat production?
Selection of Suitable Turkey Breeds
There are numbers of breeds are available in the different portion of the world. But, all breeds are not good for raising for lean meat production. Only a few of them are suitable for commercial raising for meat production.
So, always select modern and improved turkey breeds for meat production business. Because such types of breeds have excellent meat conversion ratio in comparison to common turkey breeds. They are famous for producing more meat with a facility of less food in a short time period.
One such famous modern turkey breed is Broad-breasted White. It is famous for producing tasty, yummy and flavorful lean meat. However, the following is a list of some world famous breeds of turkey, used for commercial meat production:
- Broad-breasted White
- White Holland
- Standard Bronze
- Beltsville Small White
- Bourbon Reds
- Bourbon Red
- Royal Palm
- Black &
However, for commercial turkey meat production, it is advised to go for only fastest growing breeds like Broad-Breasted Whites, White Hollands, White, and Standard Bronze, etc. To maximize profit.
Housing and Fencing in Turkey Farming
There is a need for a good home with the facility of all essential availabilities like fodder, water, fresh air, etc for their healthy growth. So, make sure of all of the essential facility while making a new house for birds.
Along with permanent housing. fencing is also required. Fencing of the house will provide protection from predators. Make fencing as high and strong as possible. Make use of following for fencing turkey house:
- Electric poultry netting
- Wooden posts
- Metal T – posts &
- Woven wire fencing
Point to Consider While Making Housing for Turkey birds
Keep in mind of the following point to construct a good housing for turkeys for their healthy growth and meat production:
- Make Sure of enough space for birds for to keep birds happy and healthy. So, decide your own how many birds to raise, and then think about space requirement. The minimum space requirement for a single bird is about 4 sq ft.
- Fencing should be as strong and high as possible to protect birds from predators. The height of fencing should be at least 4 feet, above from the ground.
- Do not let the birds graze on the field till they reach their grazing age.
- Make sure of adequate light and fresh air flow in the house.
- Always make use of wooden litter.
- Ensure facility of proper ventilation inside the bird’s house.
- With the availability of all essential facility, try to maintain proper hygiene in the house to avoid any kind of contamination.
- Make of any strong material for making fencing of the house. Since turkeys are bigger and strong birds than other poultry birds.
- Make sure of proper stock of food for birds,
- With the good stock of food, also provide an adequate amount of fresh and clean water for the healthy growth of birds.
Turkey Rearing System
Turkeys are are large size poultry birds and are stronger than other domestic birds. For commercial meat production, there are two methods of rearing birds. These two are:
- Free Range system of rearing Birds
- Intensive System of rearing birds
Free Range System of Rearing Birds in Turkey Farming
For raising birds with the free-range system, fencing of land should be done with suitable strong fencing material. Generally, around the one-acre open land is good enough for raising 250 adult turkeys birds. Also, provide shelter @ 4 Sq ft per each bird during night time. Planting tree in the growing area is a good idea to provide shade and also to maintain cool temp.
Fencing is essential to give protection from predators. Free range farming system is good for turkeys. Since this big size birds are good foragers. And can eat small insects, earthworms, kitchen water, snails, and termites. So, let the birds graze around after they reach their grazing age. This helps in lessening the cost of feeding birds with nutritious fodder.
Calcium should be supplemented if there is calcium deficiency in birds. Calcium deficiency can be corrected by giving 250 gm of calcium per week to each bird as oyster shell.
The feeding cost of birds can be reduced by supplanting fodder with vegetable waste @ 10 % of the food. Timely dipping and deworming of birds are essential to enhance the bird’s growth. This also helps in controlling parasitic attack to birds.
Intensive System of Rearing Turkey Birds
This method of rearing birds helps in improving production efficiency of raise birds. It also helps in easy care and management of birds while raising them for meat production.
Feeding Management in Turkey Meat Production
As this business is totally depended on the meat production, it is essential to feed birds with nutritious fodder in satisfactory amount. So, that birds can grow with optimum growth rate and keep them happy and healthy.
Learn how to feed the turkey birds from a genuine source. This also helps you in minimizing the feeding costs and prevent problems in meat production business.
Turkey birds require nutritious food with more protein content for few weeks or during the brooding period. Try of feed with such fodder which contains at least 28 % of protein.
The poultry feeding fodder, Chick starter is the best for feeding turkeys. As it is made with 28 % protein content. Try to feed birds with this nutritious fodder for about first 6 weeks. After which, any suitable fodder like Grower feed can be used for feeding this larger size birds. But, it should contain at least 20 to 25 % of protein content.
But, do note that along with feeding with nutritious and quality fodder, providing fresh and clean water in sufficient amount is also essential. The food and water requirement for turkey bird is higher than other poultry birds.
Brooding Management in Turkey Farming
In commercial turkey farming business, brooding management is essential to avoid any kind of loss. Because for the first few weeks, the life of poult’s are very critical and needs care for raising the healthy flock.
The brooding management includes the facility of the suitable brooding environment. This also includes providing a warm, dry and draft free atmosphere in the house. So, learn the following guide for brooding turkey birds successfully…
- Provide floor space @ around 2.0 sq. ft of per poult for the first 6 weeks. It helps in preventing crowding. It also helps in the better livability of birds with excellent growth performances.
- Maintain proper cleanliness in the brooder house. And carry out disinfect too! Make use of strong disinfectant like Lysol, chlorine bleach with water for proper sanitization in the house.
- Then after, the house should be dried off for at least 3 days before poults placing in the house.
- Floor covering should be done with 3 to 5 inches clean, and dry absorbent litter. This can be done by placing crushed corn cobs, wood shavings, straw, peanut hulls, etc.
- Litter should be cover off with a paper about five days to stop poults from consuming it. This helps in consuming litter rather than consuming feed for the 1st week.
- Place infrared bulbs and electric brooders to create a warm and dry atmosphere in the house. Temp during brooding plays an important role in the healthy growth of poults.
- Place brooder guards in the house to provide protection to the poults from draft conditions. This also helps in keeping birds around the warm atmosphere of the brooder.
- Also, place few feeders along with few waterers in the brooding region. But, do not place exactly under the heat source.
- This is beneficiary in keeping birds closely around the warm atmosphere and helps in feeding poults easily. It also helps in feeding food quickly.
- The feeding frequency and amount should be done on the basis of poults age. Increase it with the increasing age of poults.
- And, always feed with nutritious fodder containing at least 25 % of protein content.
- Providing sufficient amount of fresh and clean water along with enough food is must essential for the healthy growth and development of birds. There is need of help for locating water for birds.
- Dipping of the beaks for the first few days is helpful in drinking birds. Once, poults start drinking, they become capable of drinking water on their own. Supply enough fresh and clean water.
- Try to check poults often during this brooding period. Regularly check health and hygiene in the house.
- After about a week, placed brooder guards should be removed.
- However, it is necessary to keep brooder guards during the long cold period to provide heat and keep the dry atmosphere.
Care and Management of Turkey
Since this business is depended on livestock farming of birds. Proper care and management of birds are essential. This is helpful in reducing the loss %age in livestock farming. It also helps in attaining proper growth of birds.
Pest of Turkey
All like other commercial birds, turkeys are also very prone to several pests, insects, and diseases. The common parasites of turkeys are:
- Roundworms and
- Fowl mite
carry out dipping and deworming of raised birds to keep birds happy and healthy. However, they are also get attacked by several kinds of bacteria, bacterial, fungal, and viral infections.
Disease of Turkey
The common diseases of turkey birds are:
- Fowl cholera
- Blue comb disease
- Chronic respiratory disease
- New castle disease,
- Turkey coryza and
- Turkey venereal disease
Pests and Disease Control in Turkey Farming
To minimize any kind of loss in this business plan, follow the given below vaccination schedule. Timely application @ proper dose helps in preventing all pests and diseases in birds. This vaccination schedule also helps in obtaining proper bird growth.
Vaccination Schedule for Turkey Birds
|Turkey Bird Age||Vaccination|
|1 Day old||New Castle Disease – B1 Strain|
|24 days & 30 days||Fowl Pox|
|35 Week||New Castle Disease – (R 2 B)|
|55 days to 65 days||Cholera Vaccine|
Marketing in Turkey Farming
When it comes to the marketing of turkeys meat, there is no need of bother more about it. The demand for turkeys meat is increasing more and more and is gaining popularity across the worldwide. Because it produces lean meat which is low in fat content.
Male birds attain their slaughtering age at their age of 2 years old. Usually, females have less weight than make birds. Female birds also take more time to reach their slaughtering age. Generally, a 24 weeks old male easily weigh from 12 kg to 15 kg
When birds reach their slaughtering age, they should be sent off for selling in the market. And, local markets are the great place for it.
Turkey farming business plan is truly very lucrative and is very enjoyable too!!!
However, before getting started a new turkey farm, please consult a near turkey farm. So, that you can learn tips and trick of turkey farming to increase your meat production. And you can earn little practical knowledge of the turkey farming business plan.