- 1 What does the Iowa Secretary of Agriculture do?
- 2 Who is Iowa Secretary of Agriculture Mike Naig?
- 3 Who is the 31st Secretary of Agriculture?
- 4 How many kids does Iowa Secretary of Agriculture Mike Pastrana have?
- 5 Who is the Iowa secretary of agriculture and where is he from?
- 6 What are Iowa’s two main agricultural products?
- 7 Is agriculture big in Iowa?
- 8 Which agricultural issue is of biggest concern in Iowa?
- 9 What is the biggest crop in Iowa?
- 10 What is the number one crop in Iowa?
- 11 How many acres is considered a farm in Iowa?
- 12 How many acres does the average farmer in Iowa farm?
- 13 What are the top 5 crops grown in Iowa?
- 14 Is Iowa water polluted?
- 15 How do they water corn fields in Iowa?
- 16 What are the major causes of soil erosion in Iowa?
- 17 What percentage of Iowa’s economy is agriculture?
- 18 Who is responsible for managing land in Iowa?
- 19 What is Iowa’s main agricultural output?
- 20 Where is the ethanol plant in Iowa?
- 21 Grain Pricing
- 22 Recent News
- 23 What did Vilsack do for agriculture?
- 24 What did the USDA do for the American people?
- 25 When was Vilsack confirmed?
- 26 What organizations did Vilsack work for?
- 27 Candidates and election results
- 28 Past elections
|Secretary of Agriculture of Iowa|
|Incumbent Mike Naig since 2018|
|Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship|
|Type||Secretary of Agriculture|
What does the Iowa Secretary of Agriculture do?
Mike was elected as the 15th Iowa Secretary of Agriculture in November 2018. He previously served as the Deputy Secretary at the Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship. In a state where agriculture is a leading economic driver, Mike knows that protecting our air, soil and water is essential to our success.
Who is Iowa Secretary of Agriculture Mike Naig?
· Gov. Reynolds to name Mike Naig as Iowa Secretary of Agriculture (DES MOINES) – Gov. Kim Reynolds announced on Thursday she will name Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship Deputy Secretary Mike Naig as the new Iowa Secretary of Agriculture, citing a commitment to continuity and stability. Naig will become Secretary of Agriculture upon Bill …
Who is the 31st Secretary of Agriculture?
Mike Naig proudly serves as. Iowa’s Secretary of Agriculture. Early in his life, Mike learned the value of hard work from his dad and uncle on their crop and livestock farm near Cylinder, Iowa. Mike has spent his entire career working in agriculture and is inspired by the passion and commitment of the hard working men and women who keep us fed and fueled.
How many kids does Iowa Secretary of Agriculture Mike Pastrana have?
· Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship. Managing Iowa’s land stewardship and agriculture programs for the good of both city and rural Iowa residents. Secretary Mike Naig. Forms & Licensing Applications. Licensed Business Directories. Programs. Soil Conservation & Water Quality.
Who is the Iowa secretary of agriculture and where is he from?
Mike Naig (born March 2, 1978) is an American farmer and politician from the state of Iowa. He is the Iowa Secretary of Agriculture.
What are Iowa’s two main agricultural products?
Iowa’s main agricultural products are corn (maize), soybeans, hogs, and cattle, and Iowa ranks among the leading states in the production of the first three commodities. Viticulture is of growing importance to the state, which has hundreds of commercial vineyards.
Is agriculture big in Iowa?
In 2020, Iowa generated around $26.2 billion in agricultural cash receipts with the highest valued commodities being corn, hogs, and soybeans. That same year, the value of Iowa’s agricultural production and processing industries represented 9.3 percent of total state GDP.
Which agricultural issue is of biggest concern in Iowa?
Iowa, the biggest U.S. corn-producing state, is facing its most widespread drought since September 2013, according to its state agriculture secretary, Mike Naig. The drought is compounding problems for farmers after the once-in-a-lifetime derecho windstorm.
What is the biggest crop in Iowa?
cornIowa leads the states in the production of corn and ranks among the leaders in production of soybeans. Other major field crops include oats and hay, red clover, flaxseed, rye and wheat. The primary fruits produced in Iowa are apples.
What is the number one crop in Iowa?
cornIowa’s Most Popular Crop. About 90 percent of Iowa’s land is dedicated to farming. In addition to producing soybeans and raising livestock, the state grows corn in great quantities.
How many acres is considered a farm in Iowa?
ten acres(1) The tract of land must be an “eligible tract of agricultural land” as defined in Iowa Code subsection 425A. 2(5). This means the tract must be ten acres or more or contiguous to a tract of more than ten acres and used in good faith for agricultural or horticultural purposes.
How many acres does the average farmer in Iowa farm?
360 acresTotal land in farms for Iowa during 2020 was 30.6 million acres, unchanged since 2010. The average farm size in Iowa in 2020 was 360 acres, up 1 acre from 2019.
What are the top 5 crops grown in Iowa?
Aug 9, 2021 The top 5 agricultural commodities in Iowa, in terms of the value of cash receipts, are corn, hogs, soybeans, cattle and calves, and dairy products.
Is Iowa water polluted?
Watershed Pollution The major water quality problem in Iowa is nonpoint source pollution, and it has landed a number of streams and lakes on Iowa’s impaired waters list.
How do they water corn fields in Iowa?
No, the nation’s 94 million acres of corn don’t really sweat, said Mark Licht, an Iowa State University Extension agronomist. But they do transpire moisture — or water vapor — as they drink in massive quantities of water through their roots deep in the ground, Licht said.
What are the major causes of soil erosion in Iowa?
Water erosion is the most pertinent erosion problem in Iowa. Soil erosion by water occurs when bare-sloped soil surface is exposed to rainfall, and the rainfall intensity exceeds the rate of soil intake, or infiltration rate, leading to soil-surface runoff.
What percentage of Iowa’s economy is agriculture?
However, the direct production and sale of raw agricultural products contributes only about 3.5% of Iowa’s gross state product.
Who is responsible for managing land in Iowa?
The Secretary of Agriculture heads the Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship, which is responsible for managing land and helping farmers in the state.
What is Iowa’s main agricultural output?
Iowa’s main agricultural outputs are hogs, corn, soybeans, oats, cattle, eggs and dairy products. Iowa is the nation’s largest producer of ethanol and corn. Major Iowa agricultural product processors …
Where is the ethanol plant in Iowa?
Ethanol plant under construction, Butler County, Iowa. The Secretary of Agriculture of Iowa is an elected position in government of the U.S. state of Iowa that was created in 1923 by the extra session of the 40th General Assembly.
What We Do
The Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship exists to connect Iowans with programs and information about crops, food safety standards, livestock and more. We work together with local farmers markets and Iowa farmers to continue to support the robust industry and culture Iowa has focused around agriculture.
Clean Water Iowa presents a research-based approach to keeping our water sources clean and safe.
What did Vilsack do for agriculture?
Department of Agriculture as the 30 th Secretary of Agriculture between 2009-2017, Vilsack worked hard to strengthen the American agricultural economy, build vibrant rural communities and create new markets for innovation in rural America. He fought to put Americans back to work by investing in rural infrastructure, …
What did the USDA do for the American people?
Under his leadership, USDA supported America’s farmers, ranchers and growers who drove the rural economy forward, set records for U.S. agricultural exports, provided food assistance to millions of Americans, and helped provide a safe, sufficient and nutritious food supply for the American people .
When was Vilsack confirmed?
Thomas J. Vilsack was confirmed as the 32 nd United States Secretary of Agriculture on Feb. 23, 2021 by the U.S. Senate.
What organizations did Vilsack work for?
Vilsack has been honored for his public service and work to advance American agriculture by the several organizations, including the Congressional Hunger Center and the Global Child Nutrition Foundation.
Candidates and election results
Note: The following list includes official candidates only. Ballotpedia defines official candidates as people who:
Incumbent Mike Naig defeated Tim Gannon and Rick Stewart in the general election for Iowa Secretary of Agriculture on November 6, 2018.